Hospice volunteers provide companionship to people living with a life limiting illness and help their family caregivers in a variety of ways. Volunteers offer to patients and families a listening ear, a hand to hold and a warm heart. They may sit at the bedside, they may run errands or assist with light housekeeping. The type of support an individual volunteer offers varies with the needs of the patient/family and the abilities of the volunteer. In addition to providing patient care, Hospice volunteers help with office work, fund raising and community outreach.
Hospice volunteers receive training and on-going education opportunities to ensure they feel comfortable with their tasks. Hospice education covers:
- Philosophy of hospice care.
- Services offered by hospice.
- Physical, emotional, social and spiritual issues that people can encounter at the end of life.
- Effective communication when speaking with patients and family members.
- The dying process.
- Basic information about grief and loss.
Georgetown, TX 78626 Phone 512-863-8848